|Spencer R. Higgins, Architect Incorporated|
|Pinewood Centre , Oshawa|
|Restoration of the Exterior|
The Pinewood Centre, formerly "The Children's Shelter", was built in 1929 in the Neo-Georgian style to designs prepared by local architect CC Stenhouse. The three-storey brick building was retained and integrated with a new building to the west. The original building is notable as being the earliest purpose-built orphanage in Canada.
Our firm was retained by Dunlop Murphy Hilgers Architects to prepare a designation description and a condition report. We also provided heritage planning consultation services for the building.
We subsequently drafted a comprehensive condition survey of the heavily deteriorated slate roof, flashing system, and architectural wood and metal elements. The report included recommendations for treatment and repair.
Our conservation effort entailed the restoration of the slate roof, copper flashings and dormers. Exterior wood and metal elements such as windows, doors, portico and roof railings, were restored.
A new addition to the rear, designed by Murphy Hilgers Architects, was successfully incorporated into the shelter as a Rehabilitation Centre for the Lakeview Health Corporation.
The project cost was $650,000 and was completed in 2004.
|Pinewood Centre, Oshawa
Southeast view - 2004